10/28/2016

A Sister's Wish and An Amish Family Christmas Reviews

My Thoughts:

A Sister's Wish:
A super quick read with this short book, more novella length than novel length. It is funny, some of the characters I didn't care for too much redeemed themselves in this book, and the ones I didn't like in this book redeemed themselves in the Christmas book. One of those things that make you go hmm. A theme of redemption and facing your past runs through this story, the faith message seemed more subtle in this story, but it was there. I do want to point out that I love the fact that Shelley writes the readers a letter at the end of each book, it really makes it more personal to me. While not my favorite of the series, this is a good book with a good story. 4 stars from this reviewer.

This book was given to me. I choose to review it and share my honest thoughts about the story. The fact that the book was given to me, does not sway my opinions or review concerning this book.

An Amish Family Christmas:

So I alluded to this in my other review, but thank goodness Lukas and Rebecca redeemed themselves, I was fully prepared to have a very strong dislike for those two. But this isn't their story, it is the story of Levi and Julia. A sweet story, sometimes exasperating, as I often find Amish stories, (I think it is the lack of communication)still over-all a good story. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a bigger holiday theme since it is titled a Christmas story, but that is ok. The last two books were not my favorite of the series, I enjoyed the first two book more. 4 stars from this reviewer.

This book was given to me. I choose to review it and share my honest thoughts about the story. The fact that the book was given to me, does not sway my opinions or review concerning this book.


About the Books

A Sister's Wish
In Shelley Shepard Gray's third book in her Charmed Amish Life series, a respectable young woman finds herself falling for an Amish man from the wrong side of the tracks.
Amelia Kinsinger is the perfect Amish woman---at least according to her neighbors. And while Amelia takes pride in her role as homemaker, she's also harboring a secret: She's been in love with bad boy Simon Hochstetler for as long as she can remember. Too bad he's about as far from "perfect" as an Amish man could get . . . but that's exactly why she's so drawn to him.
Life hasn't been kind to Simon. He ran away from an abusive home at fifteen and things went downhill from there. Eventually, Simon landed in prison. But the experience changed him. Now back in Charm as a grown man, he's determined to make a new life for himself and not think too much about his wild past . . . unless it pertains to Amelia.
He's loved Amelia for years. To him, she represents everything good and kind in the world. When he realizes that she returns his affections, he starts calling on her in secret, even though her older brother Lukas---who just happens to be Simon's best friend---has made it perfectly clear that Amelia deserves better. Simon disagrees and believes he's the only one who can truly make her happy. 
But when Amelia gets hurt, it sets off a chain of events that forces them to consider their future together---and face their past mistakes. There's a chance for love . . . but only if Simon dares to trust Amelia with the secrets of his past.
An Amish Family Christmas
In Shelley Shepard Gray's fourth book in her Charmed Amish Life series, an unlikely Amish romance reveals that Christmas is a time for family, 
miracles---and love
Ever since his father died in a tragic fire, Levi Kinsinger has felt adrift. Newly returned to Charm, Ohio, Levi is trying to fit into his old life, only to discover he seems to have outgrown it.
But when Julia, his young widowed neighbor, asks for his help with a Christmas project, Levi finds a sense of purpose for the first time in months. She and her daughter are new to Charm and could use a friend, a job Levi takes personally. Soon enough, friendship grows into attraction, but Levi can't help having doubts. There's something about Julia that doesn't ring quite true . . .
Like Levi, Julia Kemps has survived her fair share of hardships----but only by hiding the truth of her past. Being an unmarried mother in an Amish community was unthinkable. Feeling hopeless, Julia did the only thing she could do: she moved to a new town and pretended to be a widow. But meeting Levi, she's hopeful for the first time. Little by little, she begins to imagine telling him her darkest secret, and eventually . . . perhaps even sharing her life with him. 
Christmas is a time for family, and as the holiday draws closer, Julia and Levi will have to face their pasts together . . . in order to find the healing, support and love they so desperately desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment