2/28/2015

The River Review

The River  -     By: Beverly Lewis
My thoughts: 
I think I probably enjoyed this book more than any of her latest books. But it took me a bit to really get into the story, probably 5 or 6 chapters. There were some very predictable parts, but there were some surprises. I have to say Tilly exasperated me to no end, I just wanted to help her find her way. I loved Ruth, she was a sweet, relatable character. I think one thing that I did take away from this book was the fact that so often we know that the Amish accept God's will as just that, but we don't see stories of the grief after the loss of a child and I think Ms. Lewis did a great job showing how the drowning of the youngest daughter changed the lives of the whole family. Well done, 4 stars from this reviewer, I think if it had grabbed me from page one this book would have been perfect. 

This book was provided by Bethany House for reviews only, no payment was received for this review. 

About the Book:
She looked once more at the dreaded river. Since Anna's death, it had been such a barrier . . . a place and a moment she could not seem to move past.
            
A line I can't move beyond...
The River 

Tilly and Ruth, two formerly Amish sisters, are plagued by unresolved relationships when they reluctantly return to Lancaster County for their parents' landmark wedding anniversary. Since departing their Plain upbringing, Tilly has married an Englisher, but Ruth remains single and hasn't entirely forgotten her failed courtship with her Amish beau.

Past meets present as Tilly and Ruth yearn for acceptance and redemption. Can they face the future in the light of a past they can't undo?

No comments:

Post a Comment